Sunday, September 23, 2012

Transforming Top Ramen

This week's challenge: create a gourmet meal with $7 or less using Top Ramen as the main ingredient. Here's the breakdown:
The Ingredients

Inspiration cuisine/culture: Asian

Attempted taste profiles: salty and sweet
Ingredients to buy: Oriental Top Ramen ($0.38), Stir Fry Veggie Mix ($1.48)
Ultimate goal: Create a gourmet (loose term, right?) stir fry with good flavor to disguise the Ramen noodles.

I chose an Asian-inspired cuisine route because I had the most experience cooking with noodles, rice, and chicken, and thus creating a stir fry gave me the best chance to turn anything I cooked into "gourmet." [I don't have the best reputation as a cook, and when I told my husband I had to create a gourmet meal he laughed, until I told him he was my taste tester.] I used three additional ingredients I already had in my cupboard: Vegetable oil, a can of Kirkland Chicken Breast from Costco, and Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce (it had "gourmet" in the title!) I figured the addition of these three ingredients would still have kept my budget under $7 if I had purchased them in the store. And thus began my attempt at a meal.

Adding Stir Fry Veggies
Chicken breast & veggies in wok 
Step 1: Boil 2 cups water, Add Top Ramen noodles, and stir occasionally for 3 minutes. [*note, the silver package of powder "oriental" flavoring should be promptly discarded in the trash.]

Step 2: Drain Ramen noodles; set aside. 

Step 3: Heat about 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok over medium-low heat.

Adding Yoshida sauce
Step 4: Add 1/2 package of Stir Fry Veggie Mix. Stir until veggies are golden-brown.
Don't forget the Ramen!

Step 5: Open can of Kirkland Chicken Breast; Drain. Add chicken breast and Yoshida sauce (about 1/2 cup) to veggies in wok. Mix well.

Step 6: Add Ramen Noodles; Mix well. Let stir fry concoction mingle over medium-low heat for a few minutes, to ensure saturation of Yoshida sauce into bland Ramen noodles.

Step 7: Serve stir fry to yourself and a taste tester, and record the results.


Results:
The finished product!
Alright, so the stir fry didn't end up looking too terrible. It looked like it could pass as a hearty side dish, even. Upon tasting, my husband decided that it was . . . still a little lacking. He said I needed to add some heat to the dish (recommending chili peppers or hot sauce, perhaps) as it was a little bland, despite the Yoshida sauce. His direct quote about the dish as a whole was, "well, it's better than regular Top Ramen." My own taste buds found the dish lacking as well-- I could pick up on the saltiness that I'd been going for, and the sweet-tang of the Yoshida sauce, but the Ramen noodles were characteristically mushy and bland. We both, however, finished our bowls. 

So, I'd like to think I transformed Top Ramen into a creative, tasteful dish (I had good intentions?), but my taste tester and I still found it lacking in the heat and spice one would expect from Asian-inspired cooking. Points for trying? It was, after all, a cheap meal that differed from the straight-forward college meal of Ramen noodles with salt-laden flavor packet.

I'm leaving the "gourmet" status of the meal up for debate.



2 comments:

  1. Great post! Your dish looked really good, I like the idea of adding some spice to cover up the Ramen taste. Did you explore any other ideas for what to do with the Ramen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my first thought was to create a Ramen Chicken Alfredo...but that seemed too straight-forward with Ramen noodles, a white sauce, and chicken, so I tried to create something that used more ingredients and had more room for experimentation with spices (although, the spice aspect was still lacking in the end.)

      Delete